Lightweight construction - made in Niedersachsen
Niedersachsen is home to lightweight research and production specialists, for applications in all sorts of sectors.
Light, lighter, lightest
Aircraft, automobiles, yachts, even wind turbines are losing weight - thanks to modern lightweight contruction methods and new materials. Lighter automobiles use less fuel and cut their CO2 emissions. Carbon fibre rotors make wind turbines even more powerful and efficient. And new products can easily be made from valuable raw materials.
- 100+ CFK Valley members
- 10% annual CFRP global market growth
- 53% of the A 350 XWB is made of CFRPs
Worldwide market potential
- Growth in the global CFRP market through to 2020 is predicted at around 10% year on year.
- Lightweight construction, according to published market studies, is expected to hit around 140 billion € turnover, most strongly in the transport sector.
In use – products and operations
- The proportion of high-tensile and high-strength steels in today's car bodywork and chassis architecture is over 60%, and most lightweight construction potential for steel materials has thus already been exploited.
- Airbus data confirm that, in the A350 XWB, carbon fibre reinforced plastics (CFRPs) comprise the complete fuselage and 53% of the aircraft as a whole.
- Material costs in manufacturing industries amount to over 40% of the total, the largest cost factor.
- 35% of the larger and 22% of small and medium-sized enterprises in Germany use lightweight materials.